"Deshabille" was an informal style of clothes in the 18th century. It’s what people would wear when not dressed up, or when about to dress. It’s somewhere between underwear/bathrobe and formal wear. People would not wear this outdoors, but it was not uncommon to receive friends at home in this. It also frequently appears in paintings.
This is the style of dress Carlotta’s character The Countess is wearing in the mock opera “Il Muto”. She is about to get dressed, but she has her hairdresser and jeweler there so she can pick up on the latest fashion. Her outfit consists of a corset, an underskirt, and a dressing gown.
1. Gallerie des Modes, ca. 1778.
2. Deshabille from ca. 1778.
3. La Toilette, Francois Boucher, ca. 1742.
4. The Marquis de Marigny and his wife, Louis-Michel van Loo, 1769.
5. Maria Bjørnson’s costume sketch for Carlotta’s deshabille, 1986.
6. Deshabille ca. 1770, fashionplate coloured by Cassidy.
7. A Lady at her toilette, Louis Tocque.
8. A lady en deshabille (Madame Boucher?), ca. 1473.
9. A Lady applying a patch, circle of François-Hubert Drouais.
- illucidantiquity reblogged this from operafantomet
- katyvonkush likes this
- royaland likes this
- leboudoirchat reblogged this from costumehistory
- domconlon likes this
- frocksbooksandcakes reblogged this from costumehistory
- frocksbooksandcakes likes this
- ladycassdesign likes this
- dresssed likes this
- poison-empire likes this
- kyomi-previously-kyoteuk reblogged this from costumehistory
- themadcostumedesigner reblogged this from costumehistory
- costumehistory reblogged this from operafantomet
- l-attrape-coers reblogged this from specteratthefeast
- specteratthefeast reblogged this from daughterofchaos
- daughterofchaos reblogged this from valinaraii
- vonbarnhelm likes this
- daughterofchaos likes this
- karoline-von-manderscheid likes this
- cheriefarine likes this
- bankston likes this
- valinaraii reblogged this from theironduchess
- valinaraii likes this
- catgovernment likes this
- eksynyt-virvatuli likes this
- roseyjehan likes this
- saint-just likes this
- feistyphocion reblogged this from theironduchess
- theironduchess reblogged this from historyvonfersen
- historyvonfersen reblogged this from operafantomet
- hlaar likes this
- lydiamartinist reblogged this from operafantomet
- amizuiro likes this
- gallifreynevermore reblogged this from reinettemadamedepompadour
- reinettemadamedepompadour reblogged this from operafantomet and added:
- paper-bouquet reblogged this from operafantomet
- dance-through-time reblogged this from operafantomet
- lady-rock likes this
- pretty-pleasewithcherries reblogged this from operafantomet
- random--bullshit reblogged this from hyggestar
- hyggestar reblogged this from gypsy-melodies
- gypsy-melodies reblogged this from operafantomet
- angel-a5 likes this
- penultimate-word likes this
- fayettish likes this
- joachimmurat reblogged this from operafantomet
- ppopine reblogged this from operafantomet
- givemethestrengthtotry likes this
- liontsarxiii likes this
- mlleempsychora likes this